Sunday, April 5, 2009

Turn out the lights, the party's over...


In case you missed it, people around the world celebrated Earth Hour last week, turning out their lights for an hour in a symbolic gesture to save the planet from climate change. Also participating in this touchy-feely moment was the U.N. headquarters in New York. According to this story U.N. representatives originally claimed an energy savings of $81,ooo for turning out their lights for the hour, only to lower that amount down to $24,ooo after the original figure was reported, and then subsequently settling on an estimate of $102. No matter they said, the point was symbolic and the actual savings didn't matter.

The irony of the event is that I suspect most people turned to candlelight, in which case they may have actually contributed more CO2 to the environment than if they used a light bulb.

Feeling the need to make a gesture of my own, I enjoyed Earth Hour by turning on every light in my house, along with all the televisions and any other electrical appliance I could find. Hey, we all gotta do our part.
On a related note, Obama draws a clumsy correlation of the flooding in North Dakota to global warming. Um, yeah. He says,
If you look at the flooding that's going on right now in North Dakota and you
say to yourself, 'If you see an increase of two degrees, what does that do, in
terms of the situation there?'
Okay, so that's really a question and not a statement, but I think my response would be that I wouldn't ask myself such a stupid question.

No comments:

Post a Comment